Easter is that time of year when there is alot of chocolate around. While chocolate is yummy and has alot of positives there are 2 things that are bad about chocolate:
- It makes you fat
- It is poisonous to dogs and cats
I can't do anything about the first problem for you but I can help you with the second issue.
How does chocolate poison dogs and cats?
Chocolate contains theobromine which acts as a nervous system stimulant in dogs and cats. Whether or not they are affected depends on:
- their body weight
- the type of chocolate or even cocoa they consume and
- the amount they consume
What contains theobromine and can poison your pets?
- White chocolate
- Milk chocolate
- Dark chocolate
- Cocoa Powder
- Instant hot chocolate powder
- cocoa beans
- coffee beans
Symptoms of chocolate poisoning
If they are affected by it they become agitated and anxious and can even have seizures or fits.
- Don't feed your dog or cat chocolate or cocoa products
- Don't leave easter eggs laying around where your pets can get them
- If your pet does eat chocolate contact us on 42 619 838