Is your garden poisonous? | Companion Animal Veterinary Hospital

Is your garden poisonous?

Matt Young's picture
A brunsfelsia shrub

Last week I had a dog called Josie come in because she was tremoring all over and appeared very agitated and distressed. She was very close to seizuring now but had been fine earlier in the evening.

I gave her some medication to make her vomit and along with some bits of plastic bag (she had also got into a nappy earlier in the day, so yes he was a garbage guts) there was some small pieces of plant material and very small seeds.

Based on the signs she was showing and the seeds found in her vomiting I had a strong suspicion that she had ingested part of a Brunsfelsia plant ( yesterday, today, tomorrow). When her owners got home they checked their yard and there was one of these plants in the yard. 

I have written about Brunsfelsia previously. For some reason dogs love the taste of it but it's very poisonous. If you have it in your yard my advice is to get rid of it. 

If you are removing it make sure you lock up the dog and throw away all the cuttings and seeds as they can get poisoned from the cuttings. Fortunately after a night on fluids and a couple of days rest Josie made a full recovery.

Get helpful hints and tips to help you care for your family pet